ED SHEERAN SCORES BIGGEST CHART DEBUT OF 2017 – (03/14/2017)
The year is still young, but it’ll be tough to beat Ed Sheeran’s record. The multiple Grammy Award winner’s third studio album Divide has had the biggest debut of 2017, selling more than 451,000 in its first week and entering the Billboard 200 at # 1.
Sheeran also beat his own record.
- 2014’s Multiply debuted at the top of the chart, but only moved 209,000 units in its first week. Globally, Divide has sold more than 4 million units with the numbers still coming in.
- Divide currently sits at #1 on iTunes in 102 countries and broke the record for the highest first week of Spotify streams (the album logged more than 375 million streams over the full week).
- The album’s lead single, “Shape of You” is also making history on its own, breaking the all-time record for the most played song in a single week at Top 40, beating Taylor Swift’s “Bad Blood” which previously held the record.
- Meanwhile, fans are petitioning for a release of Martin Garrix and Sheeran’s collaboration “Rewind Repeat It” which according to Garrix, is being held up over disagreements the labels (STMPD RCRDS & Atlantic Records) are having regarding a release date.
ED SHEERAN HELPS WITH COMIC RELIEF CHARITY – (03/14/2017)
Ed Sheeran teamed up with the guys of KuruptFM, a West London radio show and stars of the People Just Do Nothing mockumentary for a Red Nose Day bit for U.K. charity Comic Relief. Despite the Sheeran’s success with his new album Divide, the KuruptFM dudes weren’t too thrilled to be in his presence.
In the preview clip of their collaboration, KuruptFM member Chabuddy G had told his buddies that they were about to work with one of the biggest urban artists in the world. So when the rest of the crew realized he was talking about the flannel-clad, ginger-haired Sheeran, they seemed to feel a little misled. “He’s ginger, that’s the whitest you could get,” one of the guys says. “End of the spectrum.” “I’m still a minority?” Sheeran suggests, with Chabuddy adding, “Ginger lives matter.” The skit was a comedy sketch that will be part of Comic Relief’s Red Nose Day on March 24th.
Sheeran also visited a village in Liberia as part of his 2017 Red Nose Day contribution. In a tear-jerking video, Sheeran sings and chats with kids who had been impacted by the West Africa Ebola breakout in 2014.
GWEN STEFANI HAS RETURNED TO THE STUDIO – (03/14/2017)
Gwen Stefani is heading back to the studio, but details are scant.
Stefani was a seemingly unstoppable force in the pop landscape until recently, when she hit a sizable speed bump with 2015’s This Is What the Truth Feels Like. The album fell flat, with no sizable hits or sales.
- But she held onto – and even cranked up – her star power with a role on The Voice and her very public post-divorce romance with Blake Shelton.
- At the Kids Choice Awards, she spoke to ET, plugging her new Nickelodeon cartoon Kuu Kuu Harajuku and also teasing a mysterious new music project. She says she is writing in the studio again, but wouldn’t share details on when we can expect new material or if she is collaborating with anyone.
- Stefani also admitted to ET that she was nervous to return to The Voice after going public with Shelton: “I feel like when we were coming back this season, I was a little nervous. I was like, ‘This is going to be weird!’ But, you know, the show is so real. All it is us just being there and being us. So, it’s been really fun. Obviously, any time I can be around Blake is a blessing.”
HANSON ANNOUNCE 25TH ANNIVERSARY WORLD TOUR – (03/14/2017)
It’s been 25 years since the brotherly trio Hanson formed and 20 years since they released their hit album Middle of Nowhere, so to celebrate they’ll be heading out on the road for their Middle Of Everywhere 25th Anniversary World Tour.
Hanson will kick things off in June in Europe before launching the North American leg of their tour in September. They begin in Dallas, Texas, on September 12th and wrap up in Houston on October 27th.
“Making music together for 25 years is a milestone that we had to acknowledge, and what better way to do it than with an anniversary tour,” keyboardist Taylor Hanson said.
Hanson will also be releasing a compilation album, Middle Of Everywhere – The Greatest Hits, which will feature the new track “I Was Born” in addition to their previous hits like “MMMbop.” No release date has yet been set for that project.
Oct. 01-Boston, MA-House Of Blues Boston
CHRISTINA GRIMMIE’S FAMILY RELEASES VIDEO FOR ‘INVISIBLE’ – (03/14/2017)
Sunday would have been slain singer Christina Grimmie’s 23rd birthday and her family decided to mark the occasion by releasing some brand new music.
Grimmie, who starred in The Voice in 2014, was killed last June in an attack at a concert venue in Orlando, Florida. The music video titled “Invisible” features an animated superhero that resembles Grimmie.
- In a caption for the video, her family wrote: “As many of you know, Christina LOVED video games and had a special fondness for anime. We created this video as a special tribute to honor that love and her desire to always bring light and love into the heart of others.”
- Her brother, Marcus, teased the video last week. On Sunday, he wished Christina a Happy Birthday, writing: “Happy birthday sis. I beat ‘Zelda’ for you at 12 o’clock this morning. I know you would be proud and that you would have beaten it before me. Miss you so much. Never felt so good beating Ganon.”
- “Invisible” is the first song from the singer’s posthumous album Side B, coming this spring.
Brought to you by: