For FLASHBACK FRIDAY, we are going to highlight Rihanna.
This is where we play for you the MOST recent song of an artist and then have a “FLASHBACK” and play their very FIRST song.
So let’s get to it…First, we have Rihanna’s latest, “Love On The Brain”.
- This retro doo-wop-flavored track features dark lyrics about a violent lover who beats Rihanna “black and blue.” Despite his violence, the singer admits she “can’t get enough” of him.
The lyrical content has left fans wondering if Rihanna is referencing her tumultuous relationship with Chris Brown. The R&B star left her with visible injuries on February 8, 2009 after an argument escalated into physical violence.
- Rihanna is from Barbados, and this song is heavy on Caribbean dance rhythms. The song takes place in a dance club, and Pon De Replay translates to “Play it again” in the local Barbados dialect Bajan. Rihanna sings about wanting more of her favorite song when she’s on the dance floor, and she wants it louder.
- This song hit #1 in New Zealand and Portugal. In the US it was held back from the #1 spot by Mariah Carey’s “We Belong Together.”
- This was included on the demo tape that got Rihanna a spot on Jay-Z’s record label. Rihanna was discovered by an American record producer/songwriter named Evan Rogers, who spotted the 16-year-old singer when he was on vacation in Barbados. He helped put her demo take together, which included an early version of “Pon De Replay.”
- Jay-Z personally introduced the then-unknown Rihanna and this Caribbean-inspired jam to personnel of Clear Channel, who are the largest radio station group owner in the United States. On hearing it, one of the staff physically drove the single to Z100’s studio in New York City to break the song.
- Rihanna initially didn’t like this tune. “When I first heard that song, I didn’t want to do it, because it was very sing-songy and very – whatever. Nursery-rhymish,” she told Artist Direct. “But after I started recording it, I went along with it and started liking it.”
When he presented her with the MTV Video Vanguard Award at the 2016 VMAs, Drake revealed that her first met her during the video shoot for this song, and that “She’s someone I’ve been in love with since I was 22 years old.”
*All facts are according to Songfacts*
Flashback Friday is brought to you by:
With Locations is North Conway, Center Ossipee, and Berlin.
H&R Block has been serving the North Country for over 25 years! Owned and operated by David Poulin with a very experienced and professional staff.
Customer Service is Priority #1 and NEW Clients and Walk-Ins are always wanted and welcome. They do every kind of return from Personal to Corporate at a very reasonable price… and guarantee the largest refund possible.
For more info go to HRBlock.com