Universal’s Fate of the Furious cleared just north of $100 million this weekend, according to industry reports.
The $100 million marks a record opening for an African-American director with F. Gary Gray beating the previous record he set with $60.2 million for Straight Outta Compton.
- It’s also a record opening for the star of F8, Charlize Theron and the second-best debut stateside for Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson. International box office receipts are even better, with an all-time record high of $430.4 million.
CHECK IT OUT:
Below are the top 10 films of the weekend based on studio-reported Sunday estimates, per Deadline:
- The Fate of the Furious, $100.2 million
- The Boss Baby, $15.5 million.
- Beauty and the Beast, $13.6 million.
- Smurfs: The Lost Village, $6.5 million.
- Going in Style, $6.4 million.
- Gifted, $3 million.
- Get Out, $2.9 million
- Power Rangers, $2.9 million.
- The Case for Christ, $2.7 million.
- Kong: Skull Island, $2.7 million.