Ohhhhhhh Nooooooo…. Yoko Ono Does Katy Perry
Most Bizarre Online Dating Sites
1) ZombieHarmony: As the site says, “So the apocalypse doesn’t have to be lonely.” One member likes: Gnawing, chasing injured people, hanging out in dimly lit stairwells. Dislikes: Molotov cocktails, baseball bats, getaway boats.
2) FarmersOnly.com: Big city folks need not apply. This site is strictly for cowboys, cowgirls, real farmers, ranchers, and country dwellers.
3) WomenBehindBars.com: This service matches incarcerated women with penpals looking for love.
4) EquestrianCupid.com: The best destination for horse lovers looking for someone to ride off into the sunset with.
5) TrekPassions.com: Perfect for Star Trek fans looking for someone to beam them up.
6) VeggieDate.com: Hate meat eaters? Pick from a pool of strictly vegetarians.
7) 420Dating.com: The number is slang for “I smoke weed” so only stoners should check out this one.
8) VampireSinglesChat.com: Your Edward Cullen awaits!
9) Alikewise.com: Find a mate based on their book preferences.
10) LonelyNoLonger.com: A dating network for adults with schizophrenia and other mental illnesses.
11) DarwinDating.com: Only the gorgeous get hooked up on this site. They ban anyone wearing nerdy glasses or sporting sweat patches.
12) Cupidtino.com: I suppose PCs and Macs don’t mix romantically either. Come here to meet a fellow Apple fanboy or girl.
13) Geek2Geek: Finds the perfect nerd for you.
14) TallFriends.com: It’s like a big & tall dating store.
15) PositiveSingles.com: They boast 60,000 dating success stories among their members — all of which have an STD.
16) DailyDiapers.com: Apparently there are a bunch of adults who like to wear diapers (even though they don’t actually need them). Here they can find fellow Pampers lovers.
17) Amish-Online-Dating.com: This site promises to help lonely Amish men and women find love — if they can get to a computer.
18) OstoDate.com: This site defines ostomy as “a surgically created opening in the body for the discharge of body wastes.” The most common type? A colostomy. So if you are looking for a someone who has had one too, this is the place for you.
19) PiercedPassions.com: The perfect network for finding someone who shares your passion for piercing.
20) Pounced.org: It boasts it was founded by furs for furs. I can only assume these people find fur a really big turn-on.
American Film Institute Top Films Of 2012
Argo, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook and Zero Dark Thirty are among the films on the American Film Institute’s list of the 10 best films of 2012. Christopher Nolan’s final Batman movie, The Dark Knight Rises, also made the list. +
More Thoughtful, Expensive Gifts May Not Be Those Most Appreciated
Right now we’re in the thick of the holiday shopping season, with people rushing around from store to store to get their presents to put under the Christmas tree. But research shows that spending a lot of time and energy trying to find just the right, thoughtful gift, or shelling out a lot of money for one may not be the right way to go. A new study found that thoughtful gifts don’t necessarily lead to greater appreciation. Instead, it’s the giver who actually benefits, getting a feeling of closeness to the other person, the study found. Similar research last year found that people are actually more appreciative when they receive a gift they have explicitly requested. Nicholas Epley, a professor of behavioral science at the University of Chicago who co-authored the new study, told the Wall Street Journal, “It turns out it’s not the thought that counts, it’s the gift that counts.” Another study, from a couple of years back, found that spending more money on a gift doesn’t necessarily translate into greater appreciation. That’s despite many gift givers’ assumption that a more expensive gift shows more thoughtfulness.
Extinct Lizard Named After President Obama
In an unusual tribute to President Obama after his re-election, scientists have named an extinct lizard after him. However, Yale University paleontologist Nicholas Longrich told the Boston Globe that he and peers weren’t trying to make any kind of political commentary, saying, “We’re just having fun with taxonomy.” The newly-named Obamadon gracilis was a small lizard about a foot long that went extinct about 65 million years ago. NBC noted that this is actually the third organism named after Obama, including a fish called Etheostoma obama and a lichen named Caloplaca obamae. Researchers from Yale and Harvard University have been re-examining fossil collections as part of an effort to better understand what happened to the world’s species during the mass-extinction event that wiped out the dinosaurs.
Twitter Takes on Facebook’s Instagram with Color Filters for Photos
Twitter upped the social media competition with Facebook yesterday (December 10th) by introducing the ability to add color filters to user-uploaded photos, copying the feature that drove the popularity of Instagram, which Facebook bought earlier this year for $715 million. Twitter’s new release came just days after Instagram said it would no longer allow Twitter to display Instagram photos within tweets, because it wanted to drive visitors to Instagram’s own website.