McDonald’s Debuting a Healthier McMuffin
McDonald’s is introducing a healthier version of its signature McMuffin breakfast sandwich in April, made with egg whites instead of whole eggs. Called the Egg White Delight, the sandwich also includes Canadian bacon and white cheddar cheese on a whole grain English muffin, and at 250 calories, is 50 calories less than the regular McMuffin. McDonald’s will also allow customers to swap out regular eggs for egg whites on all of its breakfast sandwiches. Some of McDonald’s breakfast competitors, such as Dunkin’ Donuts, Subway and Starbucks, have offered egg whites as a breakfast sandwich choice for years.
Supposedly, facebook will soon allow users to hashtag things
NYC Parents Upset Over New National Database of Student Info
The New York Daily News reports that some parents and privacy experts are upset about a new national database that compiles personal information about students for use by educational companies that contract with public schools. According to the Daily News, New York State officials, working with the city, have already uploaded students’ names, addresses, test scores, learning disabilities, attendance and disciplinary records into the database of the program, which is called inBloom, and is being used in several other states as well. State Education Department officials insist that no data will ever be sold, with the information only available to educational companies that the city hires, who can use it to create teaching tools for students. Among those opposing the plan is the New York Civil Liberties Union, which said the plan should have been publicly disclosed and parents offered the ability to opt their children out of it.
Tips To Avoiding A Blarney Stone Sized Hangover
The luck of the Irish can’t save you from a hangover, but there are a few things you can do to help avoid a hangover. Dr. Alan Weiss with the Cleveland Clinic says the best way to keep down your cornbeef and cabbage and avoid a headache is to stay hydrated, and recommends alternating drinking non-alcoholic beverage with your alcoholic choices. Additionally he says you should lay off the green beer, as clear types of alcohol tend to cause fewer hangovers. If you find yourself having a bit too much green beer there are measures you can take the day after. Weiss recommends making a banana milkshake with honey, as the banana will calm your stomach and the honey will counteract the effects of alcohol and rebuild sugar levels. Other foods that will help your hangover include B-vitamins, black coffee with lemon, apples, and chicken soup. (Discovery Fit & Health)
TEN WAYS TO PREPARE FOR ST. PATRICK’S DAY (Daily Press):
1) Get green clothes. If you don’t want to get pinched you better put on some green.
2) Attend or be in a St. Patrick’s Day parade. The biggest parades are in New York City, Chicago and Washington D.C. if you really want to go for the gold.
3) Buy your drinks. Consuming an alcoholic beverage or two is a well known custom on this day. Try a new Irish beer for a change of pace to celebrate the day.
4) Involve the kids. For the kids, getting a box of Lucky Charms and going straight for the sweet, Irish-themed marshmallows can be fun treat. Also, try making a pair of shamrock glasses out of cardboard and green cellophane for a bit of added fun. Have fun going on a “treasure hunt” around the house for lucky charms like horseshoes and rabbits feet.
5) Start practicing your accent. Practice your accent by softening the pronunciation of your vowels and hardening the consonants. For example, pronounce “How are you” like “Ha-ware-ye.” Add in a few phrases to your accent and you’ll be good to go. Watch Pierce Brosnan and Colin Farrell for research.
6) Learn a jig. Ask Ashlee Simpson for a lesson in how to do a jig. She broke into dance during her awkward lip synch moment on “Saturday Night Live.” Learning to dance a jig will make you a hit at any St. Patrick’s Day party, or at least make people forget your party fouls.
7) “Kiss me” shirts. Rocking a “Kiss me I’m Irish” T-shirt is a fun way to celebrate the holiday.
8) Get a cab company’s phone number. We are all about celebrating and having a good time, but please be responsible. There are plenty of cab companies available to help you out. Program a couple of them into your cell phone now or write down their numbers and put them in your wallet — or somewhere you won’t forget when you won’t remember how you got home.
9) Rent and Irish movie. Watch the 1959 Disney “Darby O’Gill and the Little People” to get you in the spirit for St. Patrick’s Day.
10) Get cooking. A nice mutton stew, a plate of bangers or a tray of shamrock-shaped cookies help set the scene. Plan your celebration menu ahead for a complete experience.
11 REASONS WHY ST. PATRICK’S DAY IS THE BEST HOLIDAY (BuzzFeed):
1) You can drink Irish coffee for breakfast and no one will judge you.
2) You can have bountiful meat and potatoes all day long.
3) It’s a holiday where religion, ethnicity, hell, even appropriateness are thrown out the window: Non-Irish people can freely celebrate.
4) When you’re a bartender on St. Patrick’s Day, you’ve won the drunken lottery.
5) This is the one night of the year where grandmas will drink you under the table.
6) The beer is green!!! It’s green!
7) Even Disneyland goes Irish and paints the downtown area green!
8) St. Patrick’s Day means Shamrock Shakes for all!
9) Parades filled with Irish step dancing! Just try not to smile when you see those feet jig about!
10) If you’re a redhead, you’ll be crowned a god and score free drinks all day.
11) You can get away with calling anything your pot of gold, and I do mean anything…
TEN IRISH QUOTES/BLESSINGS (Huffington Post):
1) “May the roof above us never fall in, and may we friends beneath it never fall out.”
2) “May your thoughts be as glad as the shamrocks. May your heart be as light as a song. May each day bring you bright, happy hours. That stay with you all the year long.”
3) “Who gossips with you will gossip of you.”
4) “It is better to be a coward for a minute than dead for the rest of your life.”
5) “A good laugh and a long sleep are the two best cures.”
6) “Don’t give cherries to pigs or advice to fools.”
7) “May the cat eat you and may the devil eat the cat.”
8) “A silent mouth is sweet to hear.”
9) “The Irish do not want anyone to wish them well; they want everyone to wish their enemies ill.”
10) “A son is a son till he takes him a wife. A daughter is a daughter all of her life.”