How NOT To Get That Job
8 worst things to say in an interview according to careerbuilder.com.
2. “I don’t know anything about the company.”
3. “No, I don’t have any questions for you.”
4. “I’m going to need to take these days off.”
5. “How long until I get a promotion?”
6. “Are you an active member in your church?”
7. scripted answers
8. “And another thing I hate…”
Ellen Page Not Happy With “Last Of Us” Character’s Resemblance
Inception actress Ellen Page isn’t keen on the idea that the main character in a popular PlayStation 3 video game looks exactly like her. The 26-year-old was asked her thoughts on the game during a recent “Ask Me Anything” session on Reddit.
One user asked, “This has almost certainly been made clear to you several times, but are you aware how much you look like Ellie from The Last of Us, a video game which came out about a week ago. She even sounds like you. So much so that almost everyone assumed it was you playing the role.” Ellen responded, “I guess I should be flattered that they ripped off my likeness, but I am actually acting in a video game called Beyond Two Souls, so it was not appreciated.”
- Naughty Dog, the studio who made the game, claims it was just a coincidence that the character looks and sounds like Ellen but they actually went back and made adjustments to make the character look more like Growing Pains star Ashley Johnson who actually played the role in the game.
- Beyond Two Souls co-stars Willem Dafoe and will be released in October.
Twinkies Are Coming Back!!!
1. The plain cream that is inside Twinkies was originally banana flavored when the snack debuted in 1930. Due to banana rationing in World War II, Hostess changed the flavor from banana to vanilla. In 2006, Hostess briefly brought back the banana flavored filling to promote the DVD release of King Kong.
2. The term “Twinkie defense” refers to a a criminal case in which a defendant claims to impacted by something unimportant.
3. A rampant myth is that Twinkies never go bad, but that view is merely a myth and the snack has a reported shelf life of 25 days.
4. Greg Lawler sent a Twinkie to space in a high altitude balloon. His 14-year-old assistant consumed the Twinkie, reporting that it tasted normal.
5. Nutrition professor Mark Haub went on a Twinkie diet in 2010 which entailed only consuming Twinkies for 10 weeks. Haub lost 27 pounds.
6. Competitive eater Takeru Kobayashi set the world record for eating the most Twinkies in one minute by consuming 14 Twinkies.
Zaps To The Head Make Others Appear More Attractive
Researchers from the California Institute of Technology have found that zapping someone’s brain can make them find others more attractive. To find this they gave 99 participants 15-minutes of transcranial direct stimulation, or TDCS, via electrodes. Participants received an fMRI scan before and after the TDCS. After the TDCS participants rated faces as more attractive, and the fMRI showed them to have increased activity in their prefrontal area and midbrain, as well as a high output of dopamine. Researchers say this research could have implications for people suffering from neurological disorders, schizophrenia, and depression. (Pop Sci)
N.J. School District Wants Random Student Testing for Alcohol and Drugs
Parents protested at a New Jersey school district board meeting on Monday (June 24th) against a proposal to have random drug and alcohol testing of students at Demarest and Old Tappan High Schools. The district says students wouldn’t be suspended and the test results wouldn’t go on their disciplinary records, but they could face penalties and loss of privileges that would become stronger if they test positive more times, and be required to undergo counseling. Officials say they hope the policy would act as a deterrent for students against using drugs and alcohol. But a majority of parents at the meeting expressed anger at the proposal and say they should have been consulted.
Anthony Weiner Leading in NYC Mayor’s Race Poll
Two years after resigning from Congress in disgrace over his sexting scandal, and just over one month since announcing he was jumping into the race to succeed Mike Bloomberg as New York City mayor this fall, a new poll conducted by Marist College found that Anthony Weiner is now in the lead. Weiner had 25 percent support in the poll, while City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, who’s been the frontrunner so far, was in second place with 20 percent. Last month, Quinn, who’s trying to become the first female and first openly gay mayor of New York, was ahead in the poll by five points. Next highest is Bill Thompson, who was the Democratic nominee in 2009, at 13 percent. The poll also shows that the percentage of voters who say they would back Weiner is growing, while those saying they wouldn’t vote for him has decreased.