THIS WEEKEND’S TOP TEN MOVIES — JUNE 28-30
- Monsters University, $46.1 million
- The Heat, $40 million
- World War Z, $29.8 million
- White House Down, $25.7 million
- Man of Steel, $20.8 million
- This Is the End, $8.7 million
- Now You See Me, $5.5 million
- Fast & Furious 6, $2.4 million
- Star Trek: Into Darkness, $2 million
- The Internship, $1.4 million
JOHNNY DEPP IS ONLY ‘LONE RANGER’ STAR NOT SIGNED FOR SEQUEL: Although the Lone Ranger hasn’t hit theaters yet, the buzz is the movie is great and could be a franchise. Johnny Depp is the only major star in the movie who hasn’t officially signed on for a potential sequel. He recently said, “I think it was a one-shot deal . . . If they started talking sequel on this I’d be ready to go in a second.”
JAMES FRANCO PULLS OUT ‘LAST DAYS’ PROJECT: With production set to start in two weeks, James Franco has decided to pull out of The Garden of Last Days project. Franco was set to star and direct in the project which was to also star Game of Thrones star Emilia Clarke.
GEORGE LUCAS AND NEW BRIDE HOST RECEPTION: George Lucas, who married Mellody Hobson, on June 22nd in California, held a wedding reception in Chicago on June 28th. Prince provided the music at the event which was attended by Robin Williams, Mark Hamill, Al Roker, Gayle King, Rahm Emanuel, Jesse Jackson, Ne-Yo, Hayden Christensen, Rachel Bilson, Tom Joyner, Al Sharpton and others.
SHIA LABEOUF IN TRAINING FOR ‘FURY’: Shia LaBeouf takes his roles quite seriously so the actor has decided to spend time with real military personnel to prepare for his new movie, Fury, with Brad Pitt. The star, who has been embedded with some troops, recently tweeted, “FT IRWIN – ABRANS UNIT – RECONNAISSANCE SQUADRON #FURYPREP”
BROOKE HOGAN GETS ENGAGED: Brooke Knows Best star Brooke Hogan announced her engagement to Dallas Cowboy player Phil Costa on Saturday night, June 29th. She posted a photo of Costa proposing on one knee in Las Vegas and the caption read, Happiest moment of my life. I am marrying my best friend. I wouldn’t choose anyone else. I am so lucky and so grateful.”
BRAIN AUSTIN GREEN JOINING THE CAST OF ‘ANGER MANAGEMENT’: Charlie Sheen has invited Brian Austin Green to return to his FX show, Anger Management, as a series regular.
NICK STAHL BUSTED WIT CRYSTAL METH: Terminator 3 star Nick Stahl was busted early Friday monring, June 28th, in a Hollywood motel for allegedly using crystal meth with three other people. The police went to the hotel to conduct a parole compliance check on one of the people Stahl was hanging out with. Earkier this month, Stahl was put on a psychiatric hold at an area hospital.
JUSTIN LONG TO MAKE A CAMEO IN ‘VERONICA MARS’ MOVIE: The Veronica Mars movie is currently shooting in Los Angeles and actor Justin Long was spotted on the set on Friday, June 28th. The film’s line up already includes Kristen Bell, Jason Dohring, Enrico Colantoni, Francis Capra, Percy Daggs III, Ryan Hansen, Tina Majorino, Chris Lowell, Ken Marino, Martin Starr, Krysten Ritter, Sam Huntington, Christine Lakin and Max Greenfield.
Alec Baldwin Has To Apologize… Again!
Actor Alec Baldwin was extremely apologetic after going off on a reporter from the Daily Mail who reported that Baldwin’s wife, Hilaria, was tweeting “upbeat posts” while attending James Gandolfini‘s funeral. Baldwin angrily tweeted that George Stark was a “toxic little queen.” Well after cooling off, Baldwin issued an apology to GLAAD and deleted his Twitter account. The actor wrote, “My ill-advised attack on George Stark of the Daily Mail had absolutely nothing to do with issues of anyone’s sexual orientation.”
- He added, “My anger was directed at Mr. Stark for blatantly lying and disseminating libelous information about my wife and her conduct at our friend’s funeral service. As someone who fights against homophobia, I apologize.”
- Baldwin concluded, “I have worked, periodically, with numerous marriage equality organizations, especially over the past couple of years, to achieve the very rights that gay couples are earning by recent court decisions. I would not advocate violence against someone for being gay and I hope that my friends at GLAAD and the gay community understand that my attack on Mr. Stark in no way was the result of homophobia. Many Thanks, Alec Baldwin.”
- According to the Baldwins, Stark was totally off base as Hilaria had left her phone in the car during the funeral.
- GLAAD’s VP of communications Rich Ferraro responded to Baldwin’s statement. He said, “Alec Baldwin is making it clear that the intent behind his tweets does not excuse his language, especially at a time when there were 11 incidents of violence against gay men in New York City just last month . . . As we all work to end such senseless acts of violence, allies like Baldwin are right to use these moments to reinforce support for the community and LGBT equality.”