THIS WEEKEND’S TOP TEN MOVIES — JULY 12-14
- Despicable Me 2, $44.8 million
- Grown Ups 2, $42.5 million
- Pacific Rim, $38.3 million
- The Heat, $14 million
- The Lone Ranger, $11.1 million
- Monsters University, $10.6 million
- World War Z, $9.4 million
- White House Down, $6.2 million
- Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain, $5 million
- Man of Steel, $4.8 million
Cory Monteith Passes
Glee star Cory Monteith was found dead in his hotel in Vancouver on Saturday (July 13th.) TMZ is reporting that hotel employees went to check on the actor when he didn’t check out on time and they found him in his room alone — “clearly deceased.”
A rep for the actor released a statement saying, “We are so saddened to confirm that the reports on the death of Cory Monteith are accurate. We are in shock and mourning this tragic loss.” The coroner is still investigating the cause of death but foul play is not suspected. An autopsy is scheduled for today (June 15th.)
- The police are reporting that Cory hung out in his room with some friends on Friday (July 13th) before they all hit the town but he came back alone early in the morning.
- Monteith has always been open about his battle with addiction and had completed his most recent stint in rehab on April 26th.
- Cory’s co-star and off-screen girlfriend Lea Michele released a statement through her rep saying, “We ask that everyone kindly respect Lea’s privacy during this devastating time. Thank you.”
- Glee’s producers and Fox execs posted a statement to the show’s Twitter account saying, “We are deeply saddened by this tragic news. Cory was an exceptional talent and an even more exceptional person. He was a true joy to work with and we will all miss him tremendously. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones.
- Glee actor Matthew Morrison performed a concert in NYC where he dedicated the song “What I Did For Love” to his deceased co-star whom he called his brother.
JIMMY KIMMEL’S STAR-STUDDED WEDDING: Talk show host Jimmy Kimmel exchanged vows with his girlfriend Molly McNearney in a ceremony held at the Ojai Valley Inn & Spa in California on Saturday night (July 13th.) Celebrity guests included Ben Affleck, Stanley Tucci, and Howard Stern.
ELLEN DEGENERES CALLS POLICE TO RESCUE PUPPY: Comedian Ellen DeGeneres called the cops to inquire about rescuing a 3-month-old French Bulldog puppy who was taken from his abusive owner last week after witnesses saw him kick and drag the dog down the sidewalk. The daytime talk show host reportedly made calls to check on the status of the pup and to make sure he is placed in a loving home.
HOSPITAL WORKERS FIRED FOR SNOOPING ON KIM KARDASHIAN: Six workers have been fired from Cedars-Sinai Medical Center for “inappropriately accessing” the private records of Kim Kardashian and other patients. The former employees reportedly opened the files for non-medical reasons which made it a fireable offense.
JENNY MCCARTHY IS DATING DONNIE WAHLBERG: Rumored new co-host for The View, Jenny McCarthy, is reportedly dating New Kids On The Block member Donnie Wahlberg. Sources tell Us Weekly that the relationship is very new but they had a lot of fun hanging out on the 4th of July with a bunch of their friends. Donnie appeared as a guest on Jenny’s show back in March where things got a bit flirtatious when the topic of talking dirty during sex came up.
ROBERT PATTINSON TAKES A BATH IN THE NEW DIOR AD: Dior Homme tweeted a photo tease of their latest campaign featuring Robert Pattinson. The black-and-white picture shows Rob fully clothed in a bath tub smiling at a stranger who is extending a pair of shapely legs in his direction.Take a look: http://bit.ly/14O1rUp
JAMES FRANCO IS FUNDRAISING FOR THREE FILMS: This Is The End star James Franco has launched a crowd-funding campaign on Indiegogo in the hopes of making films out of three short stories from his 2010 book Palo Alto. James is hoping to raise $500,000 which would be split evenly between the three films.
JERRY SEINFELD IS FORBES’ HIGHEST-EARNING COMEDIAN: Former NBC sitcom star Jerry Seinfeld has earned the top spot on Forbes‘ highest-earning comedians list for the third year in a row. Jerry earned $32 million between June 2012 and June 2013 from royalties on his show as well as 70 tour dates he performed over the last 12 months.
‘SHARKNADO’ WAS A HIT FOR SYFY: Syfy’s latest TV movie Sharknado had people buzzing on social networks last week before the film even premiered and now fans are already begging for a sequel to the awesomely terrible gore-fest starring Tara Reid and Ian Ziering. Producer David Latt discussed with The Hollywood Reporter what went into bringing the project to life. He explained, “Sharknado is around the $2 million mark. We don’t break the bank for any one person or prop; we work backward and get cast from there. For this ensemble cast, including John Heard, it made sense for either the material or their time.”
JK ROWLING SECRETLY WROTE A CRIME NOVEL: It has been revealed that JK Rowling published a successful crime novel called The Cuckoo’s Calling under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith. Rowling told the Sunday Times, “I had hoped to keep this secret a little longer because being Robert Galbraith has been such a liberating experience. It has been wonderful to publish without hype or expectation and pure pleasure to get feedback under a different name.
MORE ‘ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT’ MIGHT BE COMING SOON: Arrested Development executive producer Brian Grazer says that they are currently in discussions to make more episodes of the recently revived cult comedy. He explained to Bloomberg Television that if the show is picked up for another season, the long-rumored movie adaptation will be pushed even further into the future.